The ISH is positively committed to opposing discrimination against people on the grounds of gender, race, colour, nationality, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, class, age, disability, having dependants, HIV status or perceived lifestyle.
Professor Ibtisam Ahmed Ali (Sudan)
Position: Consultant Cardiologist – Ahmed Gasim Cardiac Centre* Head Department of Medicine and Cardiology – Faculty of Medicine . International University of Africa –Khartoum Sudan * Vice President of the Consultative Council of Cardiology – Federal Ministry of Health * Consultant for the NCD Department –Federal Ministry of Health
Affiliation: Professor of Medicine and Cardiology
1. What is your role at your work?
President of SSH (Sudan Society of Hypertension)
1- Consultant General and Interventional Cardiology: in my unit there is one young consultant, two fellows, two registrars and one medical officer working as a team for services and training: outpatients and inpatients, diagnostic and therapeutic catheterisation. No invasive tests: stress tests, echocardiography, holters.
2- Heading the Department of Medicine and Cardiology
3- Supervisor and examiner for undergraduate and postgraduate in many universities
4- Member of many societies: Sudan Society of Cardiology, Sudan Association of Physicians, American Society of Cardiology
<hr width=”700″ />
2. How did you get interested in your career path?
As a student I became interested in the science of cardiology and in my practice the problem of hypertension and poor control in my country helped me to make the decision to fight against the silent killer.
3. What are you most proud of in your career or otherwise?
Working with the Working Women Association, and that I managed to establish the Sudanese Society of Hypertension (SSH)
4. What important career challenges have you faced and how did you overcome them?
Establishing a Society in Sudan – such as the Sudanese Society of Hypertension (SSH) – is not an easy task. I started by bringing together a small group of colleagues to prepare guidelines for PHC (primary health care), with the help of the Federal Ministry of Health. Then, in 2008, we succeeded in convincing the Sudan Doctors Union to accept the society as an official organisation. From then on we became known and registered with the ISH and the World Hypertension League (WHL) as affiliated members of these organisations.
5. What advice would you give your younger self?
My advice is:
- Be creative
- Think ahead
- Don’t give up until you reach your goal
6. Highlight your most significant research contributions and publications (3-5) – if relevant to you.
1. Ahmed M, Ali. I , Sanousi E and Aradiab I: clinical case of Aortic root Abscess caused by Brucellosis: Molecular Diagnosis, Surgical Treatment and successful management, the Cardiology Medwell 5 (1):1-3, 2010 ISSN 18118194 page 123 page: 1,2,3.
2. Ali I, Ahmed M, Elamin F and Satti M :Pattern of Presentation of Coronary Artery Disease in Hypertensive Patients. Sudan JMS Vol. 7, No.1. Mar 2012 page:25,26,27,28.
3. Ahmed M, Ali I, Geregandi T and Ibrahim M epidemiology and clinical presentation of Empyema in Sudan :Alneelian medical journal NMJ online issue 1858 6279 VOL 1 November 2011 page 5,6,7,8,9,10
4. Nasraldin A, Wong H, Lee S,Ihsan C, Rahman E, Ali I , Idris M, Won Kim J. Evaluation of the effects of VKORC1 polymorphisms and haplotypes, CYP2C9 genotypes, and clinical factors on warfarin response in Sudanese patients European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology DOI 10 1007 /s 00228-011-1060-1 Published online 18 May 2011
5. Ahmed M, Ali I ,Hamad A, and Mahdi M :Case Report: large posterior intra mediastinal bronchogenic cyst in an infant causing feeding difficulty and repeated attacks of respiratory infections , Alneelain medical journal online issue 1858 6279 VOL 1 no 2 November 2011 page:11,12,13,14,15
6. Elfeil M, Ali I, Ahmed M, Elamin Y, Tamim A and Nasir M.: left common carotid artery mycotic aneurysm underwent succefull resection in Sudan: Alneelain medical journal online issue 1859 6280 VOL 2 no 3 November 2012
7. Ali I, Gurashi M, and Mutwakil M : overlooked major depressive disorder and obesity increases the risk of deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism : accepted for publication in international Journal of medicine and Medical sciences ISSN:21670447 Vol.2(9) Nov. 2012
8. Ahmed M, Ali I and Aradaib I :Esophageal candidacies post cardiac surgery: accepted for publication in east African journal
9. Ahmed M , Ali I and abdelrahim M : Reliability of structured interview scoring instrument for junior doctors recruitment The first report from Sudan : Accepted for publication : Alneelain post graduate medical journal
7. Have you had any significant career mentors? If yes, please provide further details.
Professor Hassan Abuaisha: He helped me to establish the SSH and was very supportive in all my research activities.
8. How can we support the next generation of women scientists?
Help them to get involved in research activities and to attend regional and international meetings and conferences so as to be updated.