The International Society of Hypertension (ISH) is the premier global body dedicated to research, education and clinical excellence in hypertension and related cardiometabolic research and treatment.
The society welcomes applications from trainees, junior and established scientists, clinicians, health care providers and allied health care workers, all with a common interest in hypertension research. Different membership categories are offered for those at varying stages of their careers. (See below).
Reduced membership fees may be available for new members joining the Society who permanently reside and work in certain developing (Research4Life -formerly known as HINARI) countries.
We look forward to receiving your application and to welcoming you to ISH.
Online Application Form
Please complete our online application form if you are interested in joining the ISH. You will be asked to upload a copy of your CV (in English) during the process.
CVs should include:
- A list of your academic degrees and qualifications
- Details of your professional position/s and current employer
- A list of your publications related to hypertension or allied fields (last 5 years)
- Details of your scientific activities
- A list of awards achieved, if relevant
- A list of membership of any related societies – if relevant
Clinician applicants are not required to submit a list of publications.
ISH Membership Categories
Professional Membership is open to individuals who have accomplished meritorious original investigation in the field of hypertension or related topics and / or those who have made demonstrable contributions to hypertension via clinical involvement and who are interested in promoting the Objects of the Society.
The membership category of Emerging Leaders is designed to accommodate early research and clinical scientists who have completed their doctoral degree (or other qualifying research degree) and are in the process of establishing themselves as scientists or hypertension experts.
Reduced membership fees are available for Emerging Leaders, although they will enjoy similar benefits to Professional Members. Tenure of this category is limited to five years.
Trainees coming to the end of their tenure, and wishing to transition to the Emerging Leaders category, should send an updated CV to email@example.com for review by the Membership Committee.
The Trainee category is designed for those undertaking a higher degree and is entirely free. This is a special opportunity for any new researcher or clinical scientist undertaking a higher degree to enhance their CV.
Trainees are required to confirm their status annually.
Tenure of this category is limited to the period of training. Once a trainee has completed their doctoral degree, postdoctoral fellowship or other qualifying research degree and wishes to become an Emerging Leader, they are required to provide an up-to-date CV and to apply to the Membership Committee for election of this category. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Professional Affiliates
Health Professional Affiliates are designed for healthcare delivery and allied health professionals, such as nurses, pharmacists and dietitians, or community healthcare workers who are actively working towards the Objects of the Society by delivering services in the field of hypertension and associated cardiovascular diseases.
A Professional Member who has been a longstanding member of the Society, who is over the age of 65, and who has retired from full-time active work may be conferred the status as an Emeritus Fellow upon written request. Such a Fellow will be exempted from annual dues.
Applications for Emeritus Fellowship will be considered by the Membership Committee. Please contact the ISH Secretariat for more information. Email: email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your application and to welcoming you to the International Society of Hypertension (ISH).
Membership of the ISH provides you with a unique opportunity to be part of a worldwide community, expand your networks and make a positive contribution to the development of research in hypertension and related cardiometabolic research and treatment, and much more.
Become a member and make a difference.
|Substantial savings on registration fees for the ISH Biennial Scientific Meetings.||All Members|
|Opportunities for those attending the ISH Scientific Meetings to gain travel and subsistence assistance.||All Members subject to the guidelines for each meeting|
|Eligibility for a variety of prestigious ISH Awards presented at the time of the ISH Biennial Scientific Meetings. Nominations accepted from ISH members only.||All Members (see Awards and Prizes Regulations for exemptions)|
|Curated content in our monthly E-Bulletin and quarterly (Hypertension News) will keep you informed with the latest updates in hypertension and cardiovascular related diseases research, as well as Society news and opportunities.||All Members|
|Connections with over 1,000 world-class experts from over 80 countries working in your field, and via our six dedicated Regional Advisory Groups (1) Africa (2) Americas (3) Asia Pacific (4) Europe (5) Middle East and North Africa (6) South and Central Asia.||All Members|
|Opportunities to build relationships and network with peers and develop your career as a leader in your field.||All Members|
|Vote in ISH elections. Helping select the future leaders of ISH sets the path of our organisation and provides you the opportunity to elect those who best represent your interests.||All Members except for trainees|
|Opportunities to contribute to ISH-led position papers and scientific statements. .||All Members|
|ISH Mentorship Scheme, an opportunity to bring new and more experienced investigators together.||All Members|
|Contribute to the regular ISH podcasts on mentoring and career development available on Spotify and Apple Podcasts.||All Members (subject to invitation by the Mentorship and Training Committee)|
|Dedicated Women in Hypertension Research Network established to encourage, support and inspire women in science and medicine in the field of hypertension and related cardiovascular diseases. The Network aims to allow new avenues for communication, collaboration and education.||All Members|
|Access to the ISH New Investigator Network (ISHNIN), created to foster relationships between researchers across the globe. Offering exclusive events, web content and features focused on Society members.||Trainees and Emerging Leaders|
|Eligibility for the esteemed Fellowship of the ISH (a distinction bestowed on a select number of outstanding ISH members).||Professional Members or members in other categories in exceptional circumstances|
|Members who permanently reside and work in certain developing (Research4 Life – formerly known as HINARI) countries may be eligible to receive an annual electronic subscription to the Journal of Hypertension (ISH’s official Journal) at NO COST.||Members from Research4Life countries on review by the Membership Committee (Professional Members, Emerging Leaders and ISHFs only)|
|Journal of Hypertension discounted subscription rate specially negotiated with the publisher (USD 135 for 2023).||All Members opting to subscribe to the Journal of Hypertension via the Society|
|Access to the Journal of Hypertension enhanced online content and services.||All Members opting to subscribe to the Journal of Hypertension via the Society|
- Applications are considered by the Membership Committee on a rolling basis (every 8-12 weeks).
- Payment for membership is not required until your application has been accepted by the Society.
It is possible for members to pay their membership and subscription fees online. When paying online, MasterCard or Visa credit cards are accepted.
It will not be possible for the Secretariat to invoice members individually.
- From 2023, it will not be mandatory for ISH members to pay an annual Journal of Hypertension subscription as part of their membership fee.
- ISH members are, however, eligible for an exclusive offer of USD 135 for an online only subscription to the Journal of Hypertension. Subscriptions will be paid directly to the publisher and via the ISH Membership Portal.
- A joint ESH-ISH membership will no longer be offered. We ask members to pay their annual membership fees separately and directly to each Society.
|MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY||ANNUAL FEE (US DOLLARS)|
|ISH Fellow – Research4Life country (formerly known as HINARI)||50|
|ISH Professional Member||50|
|ISH Professional Member – Research4Life country||20|
|ISH Emerging Leader||20|
|ISH Emerging Leader – Research4Life country||No cost|
|ISH Health Professional Affiliate||No cost|
|ISH Trainee (formerly known as Research Fellows)||No cost|
|ISH Emeritus, Distinguished and Honorary Fellows||No cost|
Please contact the ISH Secretariat with any questions regarding your membership or to make a payment.
What is ISHF?
ISHF is a symbol of excellence. The election as an “International Society of Hypertension Fellow” (ISHF) recognises and honours members of the Society who have distinguished themselves through excellence in clinical practice or research in the field of hypertension. ISHF status represents recognition by the ISH of your scientific and professional accomplishments in the field of hypertension. The designation of the ISH Fellow is an honour and shall remain valid for the duration of active ISH membership.
Who is ISHF for?
International Society of Hypertension Fellow is open to physicians, scientists, nurses and other healthcare professionals with a major and productive interest in hypertension.
International Society of Hypertension Fellowship Benefits
- Entitlement to use the designation of ISH Fellow (ISHF)
- Professional designation representing outstanding achievement
- Recognition by the Society in various public forums (e.g., the Society newsletter, Hypertension News, website, on slide projection of newly accepted Fellows at Awards Session during Biennial Meeting)
- Reduced registration fee to the Biennial Meeting, to be implemented from Kyoto 2022 onwards
- Fellowship certificate suitable for framing, as a personalised token of your Fellowship status
- ISH Fellowship Ribbon at the Biennial Meeting to enable your peers to recognise you as part of the Fellowship Community
- Opportunity to serve as Mentor for the next generation, as part of the ISH New Investigator and Mentorship Training Committee activities.
- These Fellowship benefits are in addition to those afforded all Professional Members of the Society
- Must be an active ISH Professional Member at the time the application is submitted
- Membership dues must be up-to-date at the time the application is submitted
- Must have been an ISH Member for a minimum of 2 years
- Payment of Annual Fees (this includes standard full professional ISH membership)
- HINARI ISHF Payment of Annual Fees (this includes standard full professional ISH membership)
The criteria are established by the ISH Council. Candidates must be able to meet at least 3 of the 6 of the following criteria:
- Show outstanding contributions in basic, clinical or epidemiological hypertension research
- Demonstrated ISH or National Society Service: Active, voluntary participation on ISH or National committees, boards and task forces
- Independent Grant Support/Funding: Serve as Principal Investigator of peer-reviewed extramural research support from a nationally recognised agency (i.e. NIH, NMHRC, MRC, Wellcome Trust, BHF)
- Publications: Demonstration of consistent scholarly production in the form of journal articles and/or book chapters
- Administration: Serve in a leadership position in academia, industry, or government
- Public Service/Advocacy: Provide unpaid service in hypertension to the community (i.e. research grant peer review panel, abstract grading, May Measurement Month Country Leader, ISH Regional Advisory Group activities, teaching seminars, etc.)
- Mentorship: Demonstrated history of mentoring
How to Apply
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be sent your personalized application link. Via this link, you will be asked to submit the following:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae with complete bibliography
- A cover letter that clearly articulates how the applicant meets the ISHF criteria, on business letterhead, and be signed by the applicant; an electronic signature is acceptable.
- Head and shoulder photograph (high resolution) that may be used to recognise newly elected Fellows in Hypertension News (ISH Newsletter) and in the ISHF section of the ISH website and social media.
Review and Election Process
Fellowship applications are reviewed by the Membership Committee and a slate containing the names of candidates that meet the criteria is presented to the Executive Council quarterly. Elected Fellows will be acknowledged at the ISH General Meeting and Awards Ceremony held during the next Biennial Scientific Meeting.