ISH Global Hypertension Practice Guidelines
Information and resources related to the 2020 ISH Global Hypertension Practice Guidelines
The International Society of Hypertension developed the “ISH 2020 Global Hypertension Practice Guidelines” to help reduce the burden of the significant health threat of raised blood pressure which affects people from every country and socio-economic group. Developed by a panel of leading hypertension specialists from across the globe, the ISH Guidelines outline the best approaches to the management of hypertension and provide simple, clear recommendations for health professionals and those affected by hypertension.
The ISH Guidelines are the first guidelines developed specifically for the management of hypertension in all regions of the world, regardless of population or resources. This is particularly important because an estimated 1.04 billion individuals with hypertension (~72% of the global hypertensive population) reside in low and middle income countries.
The new ISH Guidelines address this concern by tailoring recommendations into “essential” (the minimal standard of care that should be provided) and “optimal” (care that should be provided when resources allow). They have a simple, easy to follow structure to ensure accessibility.
The ISH is committed to ensuring that the 2020 Global Hypertension Practice Guidelines are accessible to all. Should you have any questions please contact the ISH secretariat (email@example.com).
Click here to view a Webinar summarizing the Global Hypertension Practice Guidelines.
Please find below Global Hypertension Practice Guidelines resources:
- Link to publication in Hypertension: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.120.15026
- Link to publication in J Hypertension: http://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0000000000002453
- Link to complete webinar
i. Webinar Video
ii. Link to individual sections of webinar:
- Introduction: Alta Schutte
- Process of writing: Thomas Unger
- Definition of hypertension and blood pressure measurement: George Stergiou
- Diagnostics and HMOD: Markus Schlaich
- Non-pharmacological Treatment: Fadi Charchar
- Optimal and Essential Treatment Standards: Neil Poulter
- Common and Other Comorbidities: Claudio Borghi
- Adherence and Resistant Hypertension: Maciej Tomaszewski
- Pregnancy and Emergencies: Nadia Khan
- Ethnic Aspects: Dorairaj Prabhakaran
- Differences between European and ISH Guidelines: Brian Williams
- Differences between ACC/AHA and ISH guidelines: Richard Wainford
- Differences between South American and ISH Guidelines: Agustin Ramirez
- Differences between Japanese and ISH Guidelines: Hiroshi Ito
- Introduction: Alta Schutte
- Link to press release
- Link to slide deck: https://ish-world.com/data/uploads/ISH_Guideline_Presentation_Slide_Deck_06.05.2020.pd
- Webinar in Chinese (in Partnership with the Chinese Hypertension League)
In the news:
- Joint editorial feature on the guidelines from the Journal of Hypertension and Hypertension
- Middle East and North African Financial Network
- Mirage News (Australia)
- Sportchampion (French)
- IDW (German)
- Brief Synopsis on Univadis
- Physician's Weekly
- Cardiovascular Business
- Editorial Feature in JAMA
- Medvestnik (Russian)
- Nikkei Medical Online (Japanese)
- El Pais (Spanish)
Latest Tweets: Follow us
The ISH is positively committed to opposing discrimination against people on the grounds of gender, race, colour, nationality, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, class, age, disability, having dependants, HIV status or perceived lifestyle.